The needs of all children and families are at the center of LICM4all, a Museum-wide initiative to reach, engage and better serve visitors with disabilities.
We host exclusive monthly Museum time for families with children with disabilites. Friendly Hours include alterations to Museum lighting and sound. Pre-registration for this event is required as attendance is limited.Next event: Saturday, December 28 from 6-8pm. For questions please contact, Beth Ann Balalaos at 516-224-5853.
"I can’t express enough how important it is to have a place like this where my two daughters can enjoy themselves without being overwhelmed. So many other places we go to end up being ‘in and out’ because the noise and the crowds are too much for them.”
- K. Joma, attendee at LICM Autism Awareness event
LICM brings the live theater experience to children and families with a range of sensory, learning and communication differences in an exclusive environment. Past sensory-friendly performances include Journey to Oz, Happy as Clams, Elephant and Piggie's: We Are in a Play and The Big Bolt!
This dedicated room provides a respite for children with sensory sensiivities who are feeling anxious or overwhelmed during their visit. The inclusive space includes visual, auditory and tactile resources to create a quiet and calming environment enabling children to self-regulate and return to play.
More Program Offerings
- Assistive Devices available for visitors include sensory backpacks, noise reducing headphones, weighted lap-pads, fidget items and PCS cards. In addition, wheelchairs are available at the Information Desk for visitor use throughout the Museum.
- LICM4all tours are field trips created with the needs of self-contained classes in mind, providing flexibility and accommodations to provide a comfortable and welcoming environment for your students. See LICM4all tour details.
- Sensory-Friendly Theater brings the live theater experience to children and families with a range of sensory, learning and communication differences in an exclusive environment. Past sensory-friendly performances include Journey to Oz, Happy as Clams and Elephant and Piggie's: We Are in a Play. Wheelchair spaces and companion seats are sold on a first-come, first-serve basis for all LICM performances through the LICM Box Office. Please call (516) 224-5868 to secure tickets.
- ASL Interpreted Performances bring the live theater experience to children and families who are deaf or hard-of-hearing with a certified ASL Interpreter. See past ASL interpreted performance.
- Visual Vocabulary Cards are used to help those that might need assistance with transitions or communication. Visual Vocabuary cards can also be used for those who prefer to plan their Museum adventures ahead of time. Visual Vocabulary (PDF)
- PCS (Picture-Communication System) Cards are used to assist those who need help communicating. Our PCS cards features a number of museum rules and reminders. PCS Cards (PDF)
We provide one complimentary admission for a one-to-one aide who is assisting a paid visitor or member who requires special assistance during their visit.
There's an App for That!
Our new, free LICM4all app enables visitors to preview exhibits, create a customized schedule and view tips for each gallery so you can work together to customize a visit that supports your family’s interests. Bonus: enjoy Museum-based games as part of the app.
Through LICM4all, we provide resources for families of children with disabilities to enable them to become stronger advocates for their children, and we work to create connections and understanding among all families in the community.
LICM4all is developed in collaboration with an Advisory Committee comprised of professionals and organizations in the community serving these populations.
Have a question or suggestion on LICM's accessibility offerings? Call Beth Ann Balalaos at (516) 224-5853 or email email@example.com.
LICM4all is made possible with the support of:
The Gertrude and Louis Feil Family Foundation
Frank J. Antun Foundation
Janice Michelle Foundation