"Connecting all our communities’ children, and those who care for them, to one another and a life of wonder, imagination and exploration. Here, children discover their passions and their relationship to the world we share."
What We Do
Long Island Children’s Museum is a not-for-profit learning space devoted to the busy work of play. Our exhibits, programs and performances fuel creativity and collaboration to inspire millions of aha moments. At the Museum, children master skills and uncover passions that will stay with them throughout their lives. The future is always present here!
Dive deeper into our history or look at our press room to see big announcements about the Museum. See what we do every day by viewing our calendar or by following us on Facebook or Instagram. As a not-for-profit that values the trust of our community, fiscal transparency is important to us.
Why LICM is Vital to our Future
Our community comes together in one space to foster the growth of our next generation of artists, scientists, educators, entrepreneurs and citizens. With materials often not available in your own home - whether it’s 10,000 KEVA planks or musical instruments from around the world - we provide opportunities for all children to explore the world around them and the world of ideas without judgment.
Our open environment encourages children to move freely and test their independence. By moving throughout the Patterns Studio, navigating Climb-It or uncovering a new talent in a hands-on workshop, every child’s confidence grows as a problem-solver and creative thinker. The Museum is a safe place where we encourage adult-child interaction as well as observation and appreciation of our children’s growing skills during their endless experiences of discovery.
The Best for our Community
LICM is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM), the designation recognized as the field's gold standard for museum excellence. It signifies a museum’s quality, credibility and its deep commitment to mission and community. Accreditation is accorded to the elite ranks of museums after a rigorous process that examines all aspects of a museum’s operations. Less than 3% of the nation’s more than 30,000 museums have earned this recognition. LICM is currently the only children’s museum in NY State, and just one of 16 nationwide, to achieve accreditation.
LICM has received other local and national recognition for its exhibitions, programs and community initiatives:
- In 2023, LICM earned the 2023 Platinum Candid Seal of Transparency.
- In 2021, LICM earned Accreditation from the American Alliance of Museums (AAM), placing it in the elite ranks of museums nationwide
- In 2020, LICM received the Education Partner award from the Board of Cooperative Educational Services of Nassau County (BOCES).
- In 2016, the Museum was the recipient of an Excellence in Exhibition award from the American Alliance of Museums.
- In 2012, the Museum was honored to receive the National Medal for Museum and Library Service awarded to institutions that demonstrate extraordinary and innovative approaches to public service.
- LICM was named a recipient of the 2010 Neighborhood Builders Award by the Bank of America Charitable Foundation, given to non-profit organizations providing critical services across the nation.
- In In 2008, the Museum received the Association of Children’s Museums’ Promising Practices award for its exhibition–Our Backyard.
- The New York State Council on the Arts has recognized LICM for its excellence – designating it as a Primary Institution.
Contact us at email@example.com.