Like Javaka Steptoe, Jean-Michel Basquiat was raised in New York City where art became his outlet and earned him worldwide attention. The artwork featured in this exhibit were illustrations from the book Steptoe authored about Basquiat of the same name. Traditional illustration techniques combined with unusual material choices created exciting multi-layered images that captured the life of a dynamic artist.
Located in KaleidoZone, a gallery featuring three art exhibits a year. Each exhibit presents innovative strategies for beginning art conversations with your children.
This exhibit was on view February 3 - May 7, 2017.
What We Learned:
- Materials and methods (Mixed media: a combination of traditional and unconventional materials and methods)
- Art history (80’s NYC art scene, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Picasso’s Guernica)
- Artistic expression and inspiration through drawing, painting, collage and carpentry
- Parental encouragement and support
- Storytelling (story+ART February 7)
- Art making (Workshop March 18)
Check out an interview with the artist on CBS New York!
New to the world of art? We have plenty of techniques for talking to your kids about art.