Together to Kindergarten
LICM's Together to Kindergarten programs were developed to target the needs of a growing segment of the Museum’s most immediate neighbors. Five school districts surrounding the Museum have a higher percentage of students with limited English proficiency than the New York state average. With that audience in mind, LICM expanded its Early Childhood reach and developed English language and cultural immersion programs to serve pre-schoolers and their families through summer classes and year-round parenting workshops and Community Nights. Currently these kindergarten readiness programs address Spanish (Juntos al Kinder/Together to Kindergarten) and Haitian (Ansanm, Ansanm pou Kindègaten /Together to Kindergarten) communities surrounding LICM.
The goals of Together to Kindergarten are:
- to ease the transition from home to kindergarten for pre-school children with limited English proficiency
- to help the parents of children with LEP play an active role in
their child’s education
- to make LICM a part of these families’ lifelong learning
LICM is uniquely positioned to implement this program. Its hands-on learning approach and focus on the parent/child interaction, coupled with its role as a meeting place for Long Island’s diverse communities, enables it to serve the multiple needs of this audience.
Juntos al Kinder/Together to Kindergarten and Ansanm, Ansanm pou Kindègaten/Together to Kindergarten receive generous contributions from:
- Raymond J. & Mary C. Reisert Foundation
- The Edith Glick Shoolman Children’s Foundation
- JPMorgan Chase Foundation
- The Max & Victoria Dreyfus Foundation
- TD Charitable Foundation.
- Nassau County Bar Association WE CARE Fund
- The Gertrude and Louis Feil Family